Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

La Jolla Veterans Affairs Medical Center

The 355-bed La Jolla Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is considered the most modern and best-equipped VA hospital in the country. The professional staff consists entirely of full-time members of the UCSD faculty, and the chief of staff is an associate dean in the School of Medicine.

Following my research in San Diego. Once again, I went back to UCSD and this time was to visit the VA Hospital. Why is there a VA Hospital dead smack in the middle of UCSD, when it only serves military members and their families? Well, this is also a teaching hospital and many of the staff members are from UCSD and School of Medicine. And even though the signs will lead you to it, make sure you have a proper ID otherwise you will find it difficult to even park. The sense of security is very well noticeable and the very proud veterans run the front desk.

This is quite a big building to research compare to what I will be designing but I found that the services it offers, other than medical, will be really helpful to my research. Programs such as, social services, patient library, job seeking services, and more. This building, however, does not offer PTSD services. What I learned is, those cases are taken over by the social services, later to be transferred to a mental health clinic or another VA Hospital that specializes in PTSD. The Mental Health department for this hospital is solely on one level and it focuses on substance abuse and more psychotherapeutic services, where in-patient is required.

Over all, it was a very "crowded" hospital for what it wants to offer. It looks as though they "moved in" and crammed all the program in. Way-finding is also crowded and its hard to get around. The colors are blues and grays and depressing. Still, you can see Doctors and nurses walking the halls helping people and being very friendly. The VET Homeless Services is heart warming. I got to stand close to the elevator in the lobby, doing what I do best, people watching. It was overwhelming to stand still and see all of the "vets" walking up and down the hall of the hospital. Vets from all walks of life. Young men coming in for physical therapy and older men and women coming in for a routine check ups. Therapy dogs and their trainers taking the elevator to visit the rooms of the patients on the upper floors.

I have a list on my mind of all that I would change and make better. Things I would like to add to the program, and all that I would love to include in my building. Sometimes, something that let's you know "what not to do" can be more helpful than that of what you can copy from. Over all, what a great day. Makes me proud of being a military wife.
Shot from the parking lot
Therapy Garden on the Mental Health Level

No comments:

Post a Comment