Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Today I went to visit The Moores UCSD Cancer Center. I was told by a friend to go check it out while I am in San Diego for winter break. Going to La Jolla for research can be really delightful. It can be really cerine in so many ways. It offers many state of the art buldings along with some great recreation. Aside all of that, I need to focus on my thesis research. So, I went and found it quite easily. We got there at 5 pm and there was no patients around. It was great to walk around with nobody around. I was able to take pictures of areas like the theater, conference room and lobbies.
After a long semester of learning the basics of what a medical clinic has to offer, I was able to point out every single element of the visitable program in front of me. A lobby three stories high, columns every ten feet along the front of the building. It was definitely is steel frame building. The materials we all stone, wood and glass. A courtyard accessible to everyone, including patients. Natural lighting was used in every way possible to the point where hallways are used to light interior offices with the used of translucent materials and clear stories. The articulation in plan is also seen in elevation and I think this is why this building works in its surrounding environment. The program is easy to understand to and get around and its a clear understanding from public, semipublic and private.
Many mental notes and pictures are now with me to help me with my thesis and hope to find many more places that I can be inspired from before I begin this endeavor.

The Moores UCSD Cancer Center was founded in 1979. The Center is one of just 39 in the United States to hold a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designation as a Comprehensive Cancer Center. As such, it ranks among the top centers in the nation conducting basic and clinical cancer research, providing advanced patient care and serving the community through outreach and education programs.





No comments:

Post a Comment